Head lice are very tiny ectoparasites/insects which attach themselves to the hair and scalp of humans and feed on the blood from the scalp. An infestation with lice on the scalp and head is called pediculosis capitis. These lice and nits are usually found near the scalp, neckline and behind the ears. Other types of human lice are body lice and pubic lice. The head lice do not spread diseases from one person to another and it is not related to poor personal hygiene unlike body lice which are dangerous vectors of diseases. The head lice are usually harmless except for secondary infections from scratching. They are mostly regarded as a cosmetic problem than a medical problem as it can affect the confidence of a person.
Stages of lice are
Nit: Nits are the eggs of the lice. Nits are difficult to find and are often confused with dandruff or dust particles. They are not easy to remove as they are firmly attached to the shaft of the hair.
Nymph: The nits hatch into nymphs. They are small lice and they grow into adults by feeding on the blood.
Adult: The adult insect has six legs, and is grey to black in color. Females are larger than the males.
Signs and symptoms can include:
- Itching on the scalp, neck and ears from the bites of the lice
- A tickling feeling on the scalp
- Sores or eruption on the head
- Irritability and loss of sleep due to itching
Mode of Transmission
The head lice spread from one person to another through direct contact as they do not have wings and cannot fly. Especially children at school, family members and by sharing personal items such as comb, towel, etc.
- Girls are more affected than boys and women than men.
- Children are more prone to infestation due to close contact with others during play or school activities.
- Using lice infested person’s towels, ribbons, combs, brushes, hats, etc.
- Many number of children in a family.
- Sharing of beds, clothes, pillows, closets, hair washing habits and socioeconomic status, etc.
- Children between 4 and 14 years of age are the most frequently infested group
Due to intense itching and resulting scratching, the sores may open, the skin can break and develop an infection.
- Avoid head-to-head contact with others.
- Teach the children to avoid close contact with other kids at school and other game activities.
- Avoid sharing personal belongings such as combs, brushes, hair accessories and towels, etc.
- Wash the beddings, clothing, brushes, combs and towels in very hot water.
- Regularly trim the nails and keep a check on the hair of your family members.
Head lice can be detected by looking closely through the hair and scalp for nits, nymphs, or adults. The nits of head lice are easily visible with a microscope.
Homeopathic Remedies for Head Lice
Sulphur: A great remedy for children who have unhealthy skin and hair with head lice. They tend to hate bath and washing the hair. The scalp is dry, the hair brittle and it becomes extremely sweaty and moist at night. As soon as they get warm in bed, the itching starts with burning and soreness.
Arsenicum: It is a homeopathic remedy indicated for chronic and repeated infestation of head lice. The scalp is intolerably itchy at night with great restlessness in children.
Lycopodium: It is indicated for head lice in school children with anxiety and restlessness. The itching is aggravated between 4 and 8 pm at night.
Eucalyptus globulus: It is one of the best homeopathic medicines for head lice.
Lachesis: It is indicated for head lice where the scalp is very sensitive with intense itching.
Nux Vomica: It is one of the best homeopathic remedy for removal of lice. It also treats the bad effects of using chemicals used to kill the head lice.
Pediculus: It is one of the homeopathic nosodes which is prepared from the louse. It is indicated for repeated infestation of head lice.
Psorinum: It is one the best homeopathic medicine for the prevention of head lice. It is indicated for people who have a tendency to get head lice. Severe itching of the scalp which gets worse at night, with the heat of bed.
Staphysagria: It is one of the best homeopathic remedies for head lice. Especially in children with suppressed emotions, it helps to kill the lice when applied externally. The scalp itches, changing place on scratching; there is a feeling of crawling insects on the scalp
Some of the best homeopathic products to manage the problems of head lice are Schwabe India’s B&T 7öL Nourishing Scalp & Hair Oil, B&T Hair Growth Oil, B&T Anti-Dandruff Oil, B&T Arnica Shampoo, B&T Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, Zauberöl®, B&T Anti-Dandruff Oil, Anti Dandruff Combo, etc. They help to maintain a healthy hair and scalp. They help to get rid of any infection or infestation of head lice along with indicated remedy.
Source : https://www.schwabeindia.com/