Dry ginger is called sukku in Tamil and sonth in Hindi. Dry ginger has been used in home remedies for centuries. It is available in actual solid form as well as in powdered form in most of the super markets now. You can get it from Naattu Marundhu Kadai also.
How to make sukku from ginger
Take some amount of ginger as you want, soak in water full day, then peel the ginger with knife or sharpen bamboo stick and dry it well in sun light for a week. Depending on the quality and types of ginger we get 18 kg to 28 kg dried ginger from 100 kg fresh ginger. If well-stored dried ginger, when necessary, can use up to a year. Dried ginger should be used after peeling. We should apply the calcium hydroxide on the dried ginger and dried and then the skin is removed and now it is ready to use.
Medicinal advantages of Dried ginger or sukku powder
Dry ginger for weight loss:
Dry ginger coffee is especially useful in keeping our digestion in peak order and helps in proper assimilation of food aiding in healthy weight loss. It is also very delicious and nutritious, especially since it is made with jaggery. To make it, Coriander seeds and dry ginger are pounded together and boiled along with water and palm candy till it reduces in quantity. It is as simple as that. Please don't use milk in this recipe, it will curdle. Ginger and coriander seeds in this coffee, aids in digestion and palm jaggery is rich in iron. We also make a home made coffee powder with dry ginger. It is made with spices like dry ginger, peppercorns, cardamom pods.It is also very effective in treating Indigestion.
1. Cure Headache When sukku mooligai podi or powder is made into a paste and applied on the forehead the head ache will be cured. Dried sukku powder tea cures the muscle pains ie, fibromyalgia symptom, head ache, vomiting.
2. Reduce Obesity Take 50 gm of sukku powder and amla powder mixed together both and take on teaspoon of this powder mix in water, drink morning and evening to reduce obesity.
3. Cure Throat Infection When there is throat infection and throat pain make the dried sukku powder into a paste and apply on the throat so that it will be cured.
4. Cure Indigestion and Diarrhea When the dried sukku powder powder is taken in one tumbler of water and boiled and added with milk and sugar or jaggery and drank as a coffee. This cures the indigestion and diarrhea.
5. Cure Stomach Pain It also cures stomach pain and fever. Sukku powder, along with lemon juice two measures and edible salt is eaten to cure the stomach problems. Sukku powder along with sugar is eaten to cure the ordinary and severe stomach pain.
6. Cure Cold and Cough This acts as an analgesic and anti-inflammatory drug also. Take a pinch of dried sukku powder powder and ghee and jaggery and eat it on evening and night to cure cold and cough.
7. Cure Arthritis Take 10gm sukku powder along with 5 ml castor oil and boiled like paste and eaten at night for 48 days to cure rheumatoid arthritis and joints swelling.
8. Cure Toothache and Mouth Odor The garlic juice and dried sukku powder powder is mixed with water, it can be used for mouth rinse. It reduces the mouth odor and also a piece of dried sukku mooligai podi or powder is kept in the mouth to cure the tooth ache.
9. Cure Ashtma To cure asthma, tulsi leaves are boiled with dried sukku powder and added with honey and drunken. Dried sukku powder powder is boiled along with garlic and the vapour is inhaled to cure asthma. Dried sukku mooligai podi or powder powder is mixed with the tulsi juice and betel leaf juice each one spoon is eaten to cure the dry cough, cold with cough. To cure the woofing cough mint juice, salt and dried sukku powder powder are mixed and taken in.
10. Purify the Liver To purify the liver which is affected by hepatitis fresh lemon juice 1 spoon, mint leaf juice- 1 spoon is added with a pinch of dried sukku powder.
11. Purify Blood Dried sukku powder is mixed with honey or made into tea and taken in to remove the toxin and thus purifies the blood.
12. Prevent Stoke If dried sukku powder tea is drunken daily before going to bed, the chance of getting all types of stroke is decreased.
13. Cure Acidity Dried sukku powder tea along with the baking soda is mixed and eaten to cure the acidity. Also cures colic pain, pain in the bones, irritation in the chest, indigestion, stomach disorders, ear ache, head ache, runny nose are cured.
14. Increase the Immunity Dried sukku powder powder one pinch is eaten along with enough honey and lemon juice daily to strengthen the body. The sukku which is taken in separately or along with honey to increase the body heat and increases the immunity.
15. Cure Fever Take a pinch of dried sukku powder powder and a piece of jaggery mix it with honey and eat it. It refreshes the body and down the body temperature by increasing the sweat and thus cures the fever.
Source : http://mooligaipodi.blogspot.in