Milk thistle is a herb that grows to approximately 10 feet high in various corners of the globe, include southern and western Europe, South America and the Eastern United States. It characteristically has large purplish flowers and small hard seed-like fruits called achenes which are the sources of its medicinal properties.
Achenes contain approximately 1-4% of the flavonoid mixture, silymarin. It is these achenes that are used to create the concentrated silymarin extract that has a higher percentage of 65-80% flavonolignans, flavonoids, fatty acids and other natural plant compounds that have various regulatory effects on our metabolism.
- directly scavenging free radicals and in essence, removing free radicals from the cellular environment
- inhibiting enzymes which allow the free radical formation
- maintaining the electron transport chain during stress conditions
- activating antioxidant enzymes and transcription factors that are responsible for the synthesis of protective molecules like thioredoxin and HSP.
- reducing the inflammatory response through inhibition of NF-kB pathways which is a protein complex that regulates the immune response.
- Helps in reduction of liver disease
- Silymarin is effective in managing the impact of various toxins which cause the liver to damage
- Rich in anti-oxidants
- Influences the regenerative capacity of the liver
- Improves immune function
- As a dietary supplement, take one capsule daily with water or as advised by the healthcare professional.